17 June 2013

Good Art #26. The 387 Houses of Peter Fritz.

One of my favourite biennale experiences is the inspirational 4th Berlin Biennale held in 2006 curated by Maurizio Cattelan, Massimiliano Gioni and Ali Subotnick. Unless my mother wins Lotto, I'll not be going to Venice Biennale this year, but it's terrific to know that those going will get to experience The 387 Houses of Peter Fritz (via DesignBoom), a highlight of both biennales. Meticulously created by Austrian insurance clerk Peter Fritz using scraps of cardboard, paper and other refuse, this astounding collection was discovered by Oliver Croy in a junk store in the 1990s. While the various buildings are representations of architectural styles rather than being based on actual structures, the resulting installation is nothing short of gob-smacking. I was so impressed back in 2006 that I bought the book Sondermodelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment